Last Updated on August, 2022
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome is a huge issue for women around the world. It’s one of the most common causes of infertility and a big potential problem for any woman of child-bearing age. In addition, it can be painful and quite uncomfortable to live with.
The condition makes certain things a lot more challenging to do. On top of that, PCOS itself is tough to maintain. On the bright side, it can be managed, if not completely cured. But, you can only manage it if you maintain a proper diet and follow specific vital steps.
A good diet can do wonders for women that have PCOS. For example, a meal replacement can benefit them, given the circumstances. That’s what we’ll be discussing today while listing the best meal replacement shake for PCOS patients.
- 3 of the Best Meal Replacement Shakes for PCOS
- What is PCOS?
- Is it Good to Drink a Meal Replacement Shake in PCOS?
- Things to Consider Before Buying Meal Replacements for PCOS
- Benefits of Meal Replacement Shakes for Those With PCOS
- Cons of Meal Replacement Shakes for PCOS
3 of the Best Meal Replacement Shakes for PCOS
1. Orgain Organic Protein
Our first pick for the best meal replacement shake for PCOS is Orgain Organic Protein. This shake is an excellent combination of plant-based protein and abundant nutrients.
The shake’s nutritional profile is excellent. As mentioned, the protein is purely plant-based, and there’s 21g of vegan protein in this shake. The calorie count is also not much, as each serving contains only 150 calories, which is an excellent pick for women with PCOS.
The nutritional value of this shake means you’ll get a complete amino acid profile, making it a strong contender as one of the best shakes for women with PCOS.
This USDA Organic shake is free from gluten, soy, dairy, and lactose ingredients. Alongside all this, it’s non-GMO and doesn’t contain artificial ingredients or added sugar.
Two more things that make this shake an exceptional choice are its quality and taste. Orgain is known for its outstanding quality. In terms of taste, there are 8 different flavors for you to choose from.
These flavors include creamy chocolate fudge, chocolate coconut, chocolate caramel sea salt, chocolate peanut butter, natural unsweetened, iced coffee, vanilla bean, and peanut butter. Fantastic variety, isn’t it?
All these factors ensure that women with PCOS can opt for Orgain Organic Protein.
- 21 grams of plant-based protein
- USDA organic and free from soy, dairy, gluten, and lactose ingredients
- The taste is delicious and comes in 8 different flavors
- A bit expensive
2. OZiva Protein and Herbs
You can simply not go wrong with OZiva Protein and Herbs. This nutritionally-rich shake is one of the best options for women with PCOS.
Starting with this shake’s best benefits, it has a mix of 5 excellent health blends. Metabolism issues are common during PCOS or when consuming meal replacement shakes. With OZiva Protein and Herbs, you can say goodbye to metabolism issues, and this shake helps with a better metabolism.
The health benefits don’t end here. The rich ingredients in this shake help you maintain hormonal balance, another common issue for women with PCOS.
This meal shake contains many vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, D, C, B, iron, zinc, and biotin. This blend is excellent for women’s skin and hair.
In addition, the shake is soy-free, gluten-free, Non-GMO, and doesn’t contain artificial sweeteners. There’s not even any added sugar in OZiva Protein and Herbs.
The shake’s nutritional value is also outstanding. There are 23 grams of cold-processed whey protein. In a total serving of 100 grams, there are 391 calories and 5.26 grams of fat. The cold-processed whey protein is excellent for weight loss and can also help with muscle building.
Lastly, the taste of the flavor is another department where it impresses. OZiva comes in chocolate flavor, vanilla almond, mango, and cafe mocha flavor so you have plenty of variety here.
- Comes with exceptional nutritional value. Especially the 23 grams of cold-processed whey protein
- Health blends that are excellent for better metabolism, hormonal balance, and skin and hair
- Non-GMO. Gluten-free and soy-free
- A bit pricey
- Not vegan-friendly
3. Nuzest Clean Lean Protein
The final pick on this list of meal shakes is Nuzest Clean Lean Protein. Known for its blend of simple ingredients and delicious taste; this shake is an outstanding option for women with PCOS.
The secret to the shake’s great taste is the smooth texture that it comes in. For those wondering if it contains artificial sweeteners and added sugar, then that’s not the case. The shake is free from all sorts of artificial sweeteners, and there’s no stevia.
This is an excellent option for women with PCOS because Nuzest Clean Lean Protein is free from gluten, soy, dairy, lectins fillers, and GMOs.
The nutritional value is just as good as the taste. The shake contains 21 grams of premium plant-based protein. Deemed as one of the leanest and one of the most potent plant-based proteins, this shake is easy to digest.
Along with the protein, the shake is full of vitamins and minerals and contains 9 essential amino acids, making it an excellent drink for women with PCOS. A 25-gram serving of this shake comes with 90 calories and less than 1 gram of carbs.
Returning to the taste, Nuzest Clean Lean Protein comes in 5 luscious flavors. Chocolate, just natural, real coffee, vanilla, and wild strawberry are flavors for you to choose from.
All in all, this shake is excellent for those who maintain a well-balanced and healthy diet.
- Vegan-friendly and keto-friendly. Comes with 21 grams of plant-based protein
- No artificial sweeteners. Non-GMO and free from soy, gluten, and dairy
- 14-day money-back warranty
- It Tastes too sweet, according to some
- Only one source of protein is pea protein
What is PCOS?
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, written usually as PCOS for short, is a condition that directly affects the reproductive system of a woman. It targets the ovaries and changes how they work, causing considerable problems in the body.
The main thing that the condition does is cause hormonal imbalances. This ultimately leads to many other effects, with one of the main ones being particular pains and changes in behavior. Irregularities in periods and ovulation are also common concerns among PCOS patients.
It can also lead to the development of harmful cysts, which have several negative results. However, the most significant disadvantage for most women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome is that they can’t bear children.
There’s no cure for this condition, and you can do little to take its effects away. However, there are still ways to make it better, and one of the best ways is to develop a good diet.
PCOS can lead to diabetic issues because it causes high insulin levels in the body. However, a good diet can help you counteract this and several other effects of the sickness. But, these diets are sometimes hard to maintain and must be very specific.
So, what about meal replacements when it comes to PCOS? Are they good enough for those with the disease, or should they avoid them? Here’s everything you need to know about this.
Is it Good to Drink a Meal Replacement Shake in PCOS?
Women suffering from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome need nutrition to improve their health. They’ll grow weaker if they don’t get enough protein, vitamins, or other vital parts of a healthy diet. This is where meal replacement shakes come in.
If you want the short answer, yes, meal replacements are suitable for PCOS. They can be great for the condition if you choose the right one. That’s because these supplements offer the nutrition that women need if they’re suffering from PCOS.
But, how do you make sure you choose the best meal replacement shake for someone suffering from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Let’s cover that next to ensure you pick the best shake possible for your specific needs.
Things to Consider Before Buying Meal Replacements for PCOS
There are plenty of essential things to remember before buying a meal replacement. We’ll be covering some of the most important ones, starting with:
Good Protein Source
What you’ll want most in a good meal replacement shake for PCOS is a good source of protein. Good means avoiding dairy and focusing on ingredients that won’t cause bad reactions for those suffering from this condition. This means you should avoid shakes with whey protein.
Instead, focus on those with alternative protein sources, such as pea. Eggs, lentils, oatmeal, and other ingredients like quinoa, chia seeds, almonds can also be good sources of protein for those with PCOS.
Perfect Nutrient Content
A healthy diet for those with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome usually revolves around high-protein and low carbs. So, ensure you get a meal replacement shake that matches this to help you reach your daily nutritional goals.
Each serving shouldn’t have too many calories, and there should be lots of protein from a healthy source. There shouldn’t be too many carbs, and fewer fats would be ideal. If you can find a meal replacement matching these criteria, it would be perfect for PCOS.
But, macronutrients aren’t the only things you have to consume. There are micronutrients as well, which can be just as important. These include various vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids, and other things.
Make sure your meal replacement shake has a balanced amount of most of these. Regular consumption of nutrients will noticeably improve your health. You’ll feel more active and not run into as many issues as before.
There shouldn’t be any additives in the meal replacement shake you get. These aren’t especially harmful to those with PCOS. But, they’re generally unhealthy for everyone, regardless of whether or not they have the disease. In addition, these additives can cause issues of their own.
Artificial ingredients can cause cancer, kidney stones, and other life-ruining conditions upon regular consumption. So, ensure you avoid any supplements with these in them, as they’ll make things worse for you.
Something Gluten-Free Would Be Nice
While it isn’t a complete necessity that the shake should be gluten-free, it would be better if your meal replacement is. That’s because cutting out gluten from your diet can significantly reduce the risk of inflammation.
Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome run into many digestive issues, and removing gluten from a meal replacement shake can help them greatly. It’s a small step which could have potentially significant, positive effects. That’s why we recommend you try to find meal shakes without gluten.
Benefits of Meal Replacement Shakes for Those With PCOS
Once you know how to choose the right meal shake, there are plenty of benefits you’re sure to enjoy. Here’s a rundown of some of them, including details about how they’ll improve your condition:
- The main benefit comes from the protein in these shakes. This nutrient gives you the strength your body needs to resist specific effects and be more active throughout the day. Regularly consuming healthy protein is a great way to fight the effects of PCOS.
- Protein isn’t the only essential nutrient they offer. Meal replacement shakes can provide a balanced intake of all the nutrition that someone suffering from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome needs. Similar to the last benefit, this can help the body in various ways.
- Sometimes, things get way too bad in PCOS. It’s challenging to prepare entire meals for yourself, and even more so to eat them. But, this isn’t a problem with meal shakes. They’re easy to make and easy to drink, with everything only taking minutes with minimal effort involved.
- Medication/food that’s good for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome usually doesn’t taste all that good. If you’re a picky eater that hates having limited options with PCOS, meal replacement shakes can be life savers. They have an endless variety with all kinds of unique flavors you should be able to try, and most of them are delicious.
Cons of Meal Replacement Shakes for PCOS
So far, so good, right? But, we’d be lying if we told you everything about these supplements was perfect. Like anything else, there are certain flaws to meal replacement shakes in certain conditions.
So, let’s go through what these are next, so you can decide whether or not they’re worth trying for yourself.
- While they help digestion, meal replacement shakes might cause separate digestive issues. This can happen because of harmful ingredients or your body not reacting well to the liquid-based food. Either way, it can be extra alarming for those with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome as digestion is already a huge issue.
- It’s easy to drink too much of a meal replacement shake. When this happens, you’ll feel bloated, and your entire body might feel a bit off. That’s because you’ll have too much protein or other nutrients in your system, depending on the nutritional information of the meal replacement you’re drinking.
- While there is undoubtedly lots of variety, a lot of this isn’t exactly healthy. Most meal replacement shakes include artificial additives or sweeteners of some kind. These are horrible for your health and can be even worse for those with PCOS, so make sure to avoid them.
Women suffering from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome need to take any steps carefully. Their bodies are sensitive and can react horribly to anything, even the slightest bit wrong. So, while we’ve shared some of the best meal replacement shakes for PCOS with you, we urge that you only decide with the help of your doctor.
No one other than your doctor knows the true extent of your condition and how badly you’re affected by it. That’s why you should include them in your decision and decide whether or not to add meal replacements to your diet.
As for any other details, we’re here to point out anything you need regarding the topic. So feel free to ask in the comments if you have something in mind. Just remember every detail we’ve shared here, and you won’t have anything to worry about at the end of the day.